In Harmony – A Women’s Chorus is a non-auditioning choir based in Ottawa, Ontario that welcomes women who enjoy singing, laughing and learning music in an informal atmosphere.
Our choir is comprised of lesbians, queer women and friends who are dedicated to celebrating the richness and diversity of women’s experience through music. In Harmony – A Women’s Chorus was founded in February of 1991–then known as the Ottawa Women’s Chorus. The chorus performed its first concert four months later! Over the years, the chorus has performed at many local events.
Our repertoire includes chants, songs of empowerment, traditional, contemporary, show tunes and pop. We also perform choral music in multiple languages.
The choir’s mission is to perform quality women’s choral music and to contribute to the women’s community by:
- providing an opportunity for lesbians to affirm their identity
- providing mutual support for members
- promoting lesbian artists and their works
- developing musical skills
- building a bilingual repertoire
- cooperating with others in the LGBTQ community to foster a positive image